Healthcare Operations Management
I teach operations management to undergraduates who wish to specialize in healthcare. While the primary topics I cover are similar to those in my core operations management, we pay special attention to the peculiarities of the healthcare industry:
- The special challenges of operations management in the healthcare context
- Process analysis: making processes more efficient and responsive
- Managing risk in processes with capacity and inventory
- Process improvement: the systematic improvement of patient safety
The syllabus for the course can be found here.
Some related operations management practice problems can be found here on my operations management webpage.
- M.A. Anderson, E.G. Anderson Jr., and G.G. Parker, Operations Management for Dummies.
- Thomas Pyzdek and Paul Keller, The Six Sigma Handbook.
- Michael George, John Maxey, et al., The Lean Six Sigma Pocket Toolbook.
- Michael Kenney and Don Berwick, Transforming Health Care: Virginia Mason Medical Center's Pursuit of the Perfect Patient Experience.
- Paul Plsek, Accelerating Health Care Transformation with Lean and Innovation: The Virginia Mason Experience.
- Michael Porter and Elizabeth Teisberg, Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-based Competition on Results.